Friday, April 27, 2007

A Passage

(e-mail from J. Song)

I want to thank all of you in New York for your prayers, love, and steadfast support of Sabina through these four Sundays. Please know that you are not alone, that all throughout the United States people are praying for her--that whole church congregations and communities have been brought closer together through this remarkable young woman.

I can only imagine what it must have been like in the waiting room during those first few hours, what it must have been like to see her so quiet on her bed. Waiting for infrequent updates from thousands of miles away has also been difficult, though I am so thankful for the miracles that we have already witnessed.

There is a story from the Bible that I am reminded of when I think of Sabina, and her role in all of our lives. In Genesis, there is a story of Abraham and his only son, Isaac. God spoke to Abraham and, as a test of his faith, commanded him to take Isaac to the top of a mountain and sacrifice him. On the appointed day, Abraham and Isaac set out on the journey.

Isaac knew there was going to be a sacrifice; only, he didn't know that he himself would be the sacrifice! They got to the mountain, and Isaac noticed that they didn't have an animal to offer. Then, before Isaac knew it, Abraham bound him and put him on top of an altar of stones. Abraham was about to plunge a dagger into his son when an angel called out to him to stop, that Abraham had passed God's test of faith. The angel pointed out a ram caught in a nearby thicket, which Abraham sacrified in thanksgiving to God.

Because he was ready to offer everything, Abraham and all his descendents were blessed.

Before the accident, I did not consider myself very religious. I tried a few times to go to church, to pray, but I found myself doubting, not believing. I was too lazy to go to church, did not feel that my prayers would be answered. But I myself have recently had some incredible experiences, have heard of inspirational prayers and powerful dreams. I have become convinced that she will not be sacrificed, but that she will be returned to us.

And I am reminded of the person she is, and of the progression of her life I have alternately been told and been privileged to experience first-hand. Though I can't start to claim I know the meaning of all this, I believe in my heart that she still has so much work to do in this world...

look at the changes that been wrought in all of us.

If you have any prayers, dreams, or thoughts, please share them here. And let us continue praying, and sending her our love, and giving praise for the miracles that have occurred and those that will surely follow.

No comments: